• Home
  • Academics
  • Graduate Unit Directory

Graduate Unit Directory

Unit Directory

Key Offices at KU

Your unit’s Director of Graduate Studies or  Graduate Academic Advisor is your first stop for any questions related to graduate study or requirements.  If you would like to research an issue in advance of speaking with your department or if you still have questions, the following offices can provide assistance:

College Office of Graduate Affairs (COGA)

COGA oversees graduate affairs and administers University policy for programs within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.  The COGA website contains comprehensive information on requirements and processes pertaining to graduate education at KU.  Most common questions can be answered with the information provided there, including questions regarding enrollment changes or forms, University policies regarding exams and committee requirements, and University graduation requirements. The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences' Master’s Hooding Ceremony is coordinated by COGA. 

COGA reviews all  student petitions of University and College policy, issuing decisions on behalf of the College or referring as required to a faculty committee and/or the Office of Graduate Studies. The more common student petitions relate to EnrollmentLeave of Absence, and Time Limit Extensions

COGA is a resource if you have questions about petitions or graduation requirements that your department is unable to answer.  Refer to the COGA website for current staff contact information.

Office of Graduate Studies

Graduate Studies is the office of the Dean of Graduate Studies at KU.  The Executive Council of Graduate Studies sets policies and regulations governing graduate study, and offers various programs for graduate students throughout the year.  While COGA should be your first stop for any questions your department cannot answer, you may be referred to Graduate Studies for certain matters, especially for questions about GTA/GRA/GA appointments and policies.  The University's Doctoral Hooding Ceremony is coordinated by Graduate Studies.

Graduate Admissions (Within the Office of Graduate Studies)

Contact Graduate Admissions for questions regarding, KU Online Application for Graduate Study, ADMIT system / Prospect, English proficiency requirements, and official transcripts.

Office of the Registrar (OUR)

Contact the registrar for questions related to enrollment (if the question cannot be resolved via the enrollment changes link provided above under COGA), tuition, campus fees, the Academic Calendar, and fee petitions.

Financial Aid

Contact Financial Aid for questions related to the disbursement of scholarships, fellowship award, loans, and FAFSA.

International Student Services (ISS)

Contact ISS for questions related to international students, including enrollment requirements, international student insurance, obtaining a social security card, I-20 questions, and any issue related to student visas.  While other offices on campus such as the AEC, Human Resources, or the Registrar may also handle related matters, because the students’ legal status in the country may be affected, it is recommended that students contact ISS first. 

Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE)

The Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE) is a University office dedicated to assisting instructors, including GTAs, to develop effective instructional techniques. The expert staff of CTE can introduce instructors to the pedagogical technology available at the University and help instructors develop new approaches to teaching. CTE specialists work with instructors individually, and also offer a diverse array of workshops and discussions. They also can guide instructors to useful scholarly literature on the subject of college teaching and learning.

Academic Calendar

Please see the Graduate School calendar for deadlines regarding deadlines for graduation, including dates to meet all school and college requirements, application for degree, etc.

this week's Departmental News Bulletin
information about First and Second Year English
information about Undergraduate Degrees
information about Graduate Degrees
Faculty Profiles
Course Listings
Follow us:

Twitter Facebook 

Facebook Feed
Twitter Feed