Applying for Admission
Application Deadline: December 31. All materials must be received by the deadline for consideration for Fall semester. The department does not admit new incoming graduate students for Spring semesters.
The English Department does not accept applications after December 31st.
Early submission of applications for fellowships and graduate teaching assistantship is highly desirable. We urge candidates to submit all their materials early for fellowship and/or GTAship consideration. All materials must be received by the December 31st deadline. This includes supplemental items such as GRE scores, letters of recommendation, etc. See below for a list of required supplemental materials.
GRE score reports will be delayed because of the GRE testing format revisions. Information on the score reporting schedule. Local applicants please note that during the 2017-2018 academic year, and possibly the 2018 summer session, Testing Services will be in Summerfield Hall, Suite 350.
Online Application Form
- Online Application
- The University of Kansas does not accept paper applications. You must apply online.
In addition to the application itself, please submit the following supplemental materials:
- A resumé or curriculum vitae.
- A statement of approximately 500 words describing your interests, training, experience (including teaching experience), academic ability, and goals.
- Letters of recommendation from three professors. Recommenders are strongly encouraged to submit their letters electronically through ApplyWeb. Paper letters must be submitted on the institution's letterhead, in a sealed envelope, addressed directly to the Graduate Director. Letters should, if possible, speak to potential as a teacher, although they should primarily be focused on academic and scholarly ability.
- Copies of G.R.E. scores in the General Aptitude Test, taken within five years of application date. These tests should be taken well in advance of the application deadline of December 31. The English department does not require applicants to take the GRE Subject Exam. To submit scores to us, use university code 6871, department code 2501. Score reports will be delayed because of the GRE testing format revisions. Information on the score reporting schedule.
PLEASE NOTE: GRE scores are not required for applications to the MFA program. However, they are strongly recommended for MFA applicants whose undergraduate transcripts do not provide grades and for MFA applicants who wish to be considered for the highly-competitive university-wide scholarships and fellowships. Applicants to all graduate degree tracks other than the MFA must submit GRE scores to be considered for the program.
- One official transcript from each university previously attended. Scanned or electronic copies of official transcripts are acceptable for the application. Advising reports, web-based grade report forms, or other documents that say "Unofficial Copy or Transcript" are not acceptable. If you are uncertain what constitutes an official transcript, please contact the Graduate Secretary, Lydia Ash, firstname.lastname@example.org. KU requires a minimum GPA of 3.25 for regular admission to the graduate program.
- M.A. and PhD literature track applicants must submit two examples of academic writing. MFA candidates must submit thirty total pages of prose (fiction or nonfiction)--multiple stories or a longer piece are acceptable. Poetry writing candidates should submit about fifteen pages of poetry. Screen or Playwriting candidates should submit at least one one-act play. Creative Writing PhD applicants must submit one example of creative writing (prose, poetry, or a one-act play), and one example of academic writing. Please upload writing samples with your online application (preferred).
- Send all hard copy materials to: Department of English, Graduate Applications, 1445 Jayhawk Blvd Rm 3001, Lawrence, KS 66045.
Note: The English department accepts all supplemental materials in electronic format, including transcripts and letters of recommendation. Materials may be attached to the application or emailed to the Graduate Secretary, email@example.com. If you have questions about submitting materials electronically, please contact the Graduate Secretary, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, the cost of living in Lawrence can be significantly lower than in metropolitan areas. Check this cost of living calculator to determine the difference. Enter Lawrence KS in the first location and then a comparison city as the new location to get a percentage difference in cost of living.